Rosetta Code and Notablity
31 Oct 2013
In a recent dialogue with a University, I stumbled across a neat site comparing various development languages, their style and rules, through various examples. The site is aptly named after the Rosetta Stone; http://rosettacode.org
Out of 516 languages listed Lasso did not appear. Not even once.*
To all those who consider themselves 'Blue Hats' (aka Lasso Developers)
As part of the promise to start a new Chapter actively and aggressively promoting Lasso 9 outside of the existing Lasso community, we at LassoSoft made the decision to have some fun this month and see how many examples we could get entered into this system in the shortest amount of time possible. This is a completely third-party site - and we have no reason to pick on them except that Lasso is completely underrepresented as a language in a public forum.
THE CONTEST: LassoSoft will pay $1000 cold hard cash to the individual who best represents us on this website by adding and updating the most examples on this site.
Note that this contest runs for the month of November only.
See details on http://lassosoft.com/lasso-and-rosetta-code
- You must follow the rules on RosettaCode.org. Be respectful - it's not our site.
- For every new example you add, you get 5 points. If you dramatically improve (meaningfully less lines of code throughout, significantly faster processing), you get 2 points.
- You need to count your own points. Whosoever claims to have the largest number of points will be manually checked over as the winner.
- The contest runs from this moment to November 30th, at midnight (the month of November).
- The code needs to work in Lasso 9. You can write it in Classic Lasso, but it needs to work in 9.
- If you didn't write it, please don't post it - that's against the laws of copyright. Send it to the person who wrote it to post it or get their permission in writing - that's just plain appropriate and ethical. Or post it with attribution, and don't claim the points.
- Once the examples/tasks are complete (692 total), the contest ends, on or before the end of November.
- We will be doing random draws for entries throughout the month for additional prizes. So make sure you post at least one thing!
THE RULES HAVE CHANGED A BIT:
Please see the formal rules here: http://www.lassosoft.com/lasso-and-rosetta-code
Hopefully this contest compels you to spend a few minutes playing with Lasso 9 - just for fun.
How To Use RossettaCode.org
1) Go to http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reports:Tasks_not_implemented_in_Lasso
2) Find an example you would like to make (use http://www.lassoguide.com as a reference)
3) Find the place your code would fit, and replace the words "LASSO CODE" with your example.
4) Save the page!
5) Add to your points count.
Please - spend a few minutes looking over the list of tasks and adding an example - or a few examples. I'm certain you have some kicking around - you probably don't even need to write them!
CEO, LassoSoft Inc